Monday, December 17, 2007

The Bunny, The Toad & The Boy From England

The ride down was interesting, to say the least.
Gramps smoked pot in Panama during WWII. A smokey friend and he re-enacted a scene from the movie Captains Courageous (1937). Gramps played Spencer Tracy and his pal Freddie Bartholomew.
Why is this my most prominent recollection of conversation?

We arrived at the All Star Music, not to be confused with All Star Movies, All Star Sports or any other numerous Disney resorts. We stayed in the Broadway section. All of it seems like a maze where the days and nights run into each other. As well as, the roads leading to all of the 'magical' places. You can't describe a Disney vacation without using the words 'magical', 'dreams' and 'wishes'.

One evening, after returning from a day of festivities, Naomi spotted a bunny and we fed it apple pieces. We laid on the grass, watching it through the precisely manicured bushes.
Charming-enchanted-delightful-brown-bunny-wrinkled-nose-cuteness-is-a-cure.
I needed a picture of a frog for the last project of my B&W photography class.
At the reception dinner, which was a Hawaiian luau, I received a glycerin soap frog with the words inscribed: At Last I Found My "Prince".
It came with a keepsake pewter crown charm. I took a picture of it.
One evening, after returning from a day of festivities, Naomi spotted a plump toad. We stared in awe, as it hopped along the sidewalk. I picked it up and placed it down, in the grass, pointing towards the bushy area. Afterwards, I may have forgotten to wash my hands.
Laughing-loved-kissable-bumpy-toadie-hopping-legs-cuteness-is-a-cure.

"Now Meagan, don't try to go and drive in Orlando traffic. It's reeeeealy busy. Everything you need is right here and you can take the shuttle bus to all of the theme parks."
Gramps was pissed off because he wanted to stick to his daily routine. At home, everyday he has a nut snack (not to be confused with nut sack) before his 'big meal' (meaning lunch).
Gramps and I went to Wendy's for lunch and we found the local supermarket called Publix. We picked up some sweet and nutty mix, a bunch of bananas, yogurt, orange juice and then Gramps placed a Hersey's chocolate bar and pack of Ice Breakers gum onto the grocery belt. Most of the time, he ate ice cream for dinner, he's 83 and he deserved it!

I was sitting on a bench when he ran up with a shotgun. He peered into the yellow cab's window.
"Oy Crikes tis it a real taxi?"
"Try to open the door."
"They nowt open. Someone could pinch it. I'm nowt gon ta hijack it. Me brother and I are playin."
"I saw you at the pool the other day. Looked like your brother was beating you up."
"Eh, he tis barmy but he cunt fine me. Me gun an Indian Jones, I'm gon ta fine the wanker and bang, bang, bang."
I don't have the exact accent. Did that kid say wanker!?!

The wedding was held at The Grand Floridian. Naomi rode in the horse-drawn carriage to the chapel. She walked methodically down the isle, dropping one petal at a time. I had to contain myself from saying,
drop more petals - drop more.
Someone said it's bad luck if the flower girl doesn't drop all of the petals.
Fooey.
Beth had a princess glow as she glided down the isle. She was a remarkably beautiful bride, for lack of a better word. On the altar, there was a picture of Ryan and a candle lit in remembrance. When Julie stepped aside for Scott and Beth to kneel down.
"Uhhhh." Was all he heard and I thought,
Oh my God, Julie's dress caught on fire.
Luckily, the candle tipped sideways and then tipped straight back up. This wasn't viewed by the guests, only heard. It was a sign from Ryan, he really liked Julie and it was a 'magical' place.
When Beth walked out, a glass explosion sound erupted and I thought,
Oh my God, the camera lights blew up.
Hundreds of colored streamers filled the air.
We blew bubbles as they stepped into the carriage.
We went to the afternoon reception of cake and champagne, which also included fancy cheeses and meats.
Julie gave a speech, in which she recited this quote from The Princess Bride:
"Mawiage. Mawiage is what bwings us togever today. Mawiage that bwessed awangement, that dweam wivin a dweam."
Beth sobbed.
We also had a night reception but it had to be hush-hush. Apparently, if you have a wedding in The World of Disney, you are trapped. Really!
We escaped into the night. The next reception was held at a near-by hotel.
We sat at the table named Fairy Godmother. This was quite appropriate because my dress left a trial of glitter - everywhere.
No one noticed, after their dance, when Scott didn't pull off throwing glitter into the air. The dress was annoying to wear, but at least it contributed to the ambiance. Beth had this reception choreographed and all of the songs picked out.
Chris, Julie and Beth performed a dance routine to a song from the movie,
Romy and Michelle's High School Reunion.
We Walked Like An Egyptian, slowed danced to Madonna's hit song Crazy For You and did the Cha-Cha Slide.
'Twas Beth's 'magical wish' where all her 'dreams' came true. She'd only dreamt of that night since she was 7.
At 12:30 AM, Naomi, Christina, Liz, her boyfriend and I went to The Magic Kingdom , it was open until 3AM for it's 'magical' hours. A perk for resort customers. The girls in their lilac dresses and I in my Fairy Godmother dress. I took off my heels and walked around barefoot, only putting them back on to ride-a-ride.
I's aint no's redneck but ma feet hurt.
I deserved it! (not the aching feet but the barefoot-ness!).
That early morning, I took a shower and scrubbed my feet for 20 minutes, watching the black water swirl down the Disney drain.
On the way home, we stopped in Daytona Beach. I just had to say,
Hello-to-the-gigantic-awe-inspiring-wavy-wet-containing-vast-memories-washed-away-by-the-ocean-tide.
I took off my flats and put my bare feet in. We had a long ride ahead and I deserved it...(the barefoot-ness and the ride!)

4 comments:

Adamity73 said...

=o) What a play-by-play!

I'd not have confused a "nut snack" with a "nut sack," but I appreciate your verifying the fact that your 83-year old grandfather does not enjoy a nutsack every day. ;-)

I am glad that you had and it sure seems like it was a truly "magical" time.

BTW, nice writing. I thoroughly enjoyed the stream-of-consciousness style.

Unknown said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog, and thanks also for the link! Interesting post. :-)

Chris said...

Hi, I can't find any contacts on your blog. Can I ask you to send a note for me? My email is in profile.
Thanks, Chris

Nanette said...

What a beautiful wedding, sounds absolutely magical (and pricey, I'm glad I'm not paying that bill, heehee). Don't mind me sitting here all night...I'm stalking your music! :)

Blog Archive